Saturday 1 June 2013

Further investigation of the emulsion on the oil filler cap - better news



When I was looking around the web about emulsion on the oil filler cap I came across some comments about checking that the crankcase breather was working and that there were no split hoses. So I set about finding where the breather was and how to check it. The pictures in the manual are not at all clear but I traced it from the carburettor inlet. Underneath the air filter mounting plate I spotted an open ended hose and when I got hold of it there was lot of black grease around it. The hose had come adrift from the bottom of the air filter and it didn't have a retaining clip to secure it. I guess the black oil was where the breather was discharging crankcase fumes. So this might be another cause of the emulsion of the oil filler cap as the crankcase would not have been under vacuum and the moisture wouldn't be drawn out.

The other thing I wanted to test was if the breather valve was working and not blocked as this can also evidently cause problems. One comment I'd read said to just put a length of tube on the breather discharge at the carbureter inlet and suck ...  both with the oil filler cap on and also with it off. I got no resistance with the cap off but resistance with it on. I also blew down it and this gave resistance.  So it seemed to all be connected and working fine.  

I then took the Argo up to the forest and drove it around a bit. The temperature gauge was still cycling, gradually building up to 95C and them going back down to 80C quickly. Anyway I let it cool down and then rechecked the coolant level. This had gone down by just a little, perhaps about 25ccs, so I filled it up again. However the good news was that there was no emulsion in the oil filler tube. I've run the Argo for a few hours now and the emulsion has completely gone, however the temperature gauge is still cycling around the 80 to 95C range. I'm not sure what to do about this at present so will keep looking out for further information on this. In fact if anyone out there has any advice I'd be please to hear it, cycling temperature gauges just don't seem right to me.




.  

No comments:

Post a Comment